A Leader from the Beginning
For more than 160 years, Birla Carbon has been at the forefront of the carbon black industry, pushing innovation and development to ensure that practically any need in any place in the world can be met.
Launched Birla Carbon Purpose – Share the Strength, after a detailed internal and external study.
On July 1, 2018, all Birla Carbon entities around the world renamed to represent one Birla Carbon across its operations.
On July 24, 2018, Birla Carbon India’s Gummidipoondi unit completed 20 years.
On July 28, 2018, Birla Carbon India’s Renukoot unit completed 30 years.
Birla Carbon inaugurated its carbon black plant in Jining, China on September 8. The plant in Jining is its largest greenfield investment in China.
Birla Carbon receives consecutive Gold rating by EcoVadis for Sustainability.
‘Social Value of Carbon Black’ learning video released along with booklets in 24 languages.
Birla Carbon releases its fifth Sustainability Report.
Birla Carbon announces Joint Development Agreement with American Process Inc. for combining nanocellulose and carbon black in tires.
The company celebrates 75 years of innovation as the first carbon black company to install an industrial electron microscope, which took place in 1941.
Pirelli presents Supplier Awards for 2016 to Birla Carbon.
The company is awarded the Golden Peacock Global Award for Sustainability.
Birla Carbon Scholars Program promotes Science and Mathematics at Kennesaw State University.
The company is awarded the Gold rating by EcoVadis for Sustainability.
Birla Carbon releases its fourth Sustainability Report.
As part of its consolidation of operations, Birla Carbon announces restructuring of Europe and Africa Region.
Birla Carbon proposes to establish a greenfield carbon black production plant in Shandong province, China.
Birla Carbon releases its third Sustainability Report, the first online-only report in the carbon black industry.
Birla Carbon releases its second Sustainability Report.
Hi-Tech Carbon demerged from Aditya Birla Nuvo Ltd. SKI Carbon Black (India) Pvt Ltd. Incorporated.
Birla Carbon releases its first Sustainability Report.
Aditya Birla Group acquires Columbian Chemicals Co. and becomes the largest carbon black company globally under the corporate brand Birla Carbon.
Hi-Tech Carbon, Patalganga starts operations in India.
Columbian Chemicals Co. expands its China and Hungary facilities.
One Equity Partners acquires DC Chemicals ownership portion of Columbian Chemicals Co.
Columbian Chemicals Co. starts operations at Bahia, a Greenfield facility.
Columbian Chemicals Co. acquires Weifang facility in China.
Columbian Chemicals Co. North Bend Cogeneration facility starts operations.
Columbian Chemicals Co. is acquired from Phelps Dodge by DC Chemicals/One Equity Partners.
Liaoning Birla Carbon, a subsidiary of Thai Carbon Black Public Co. Ltd., starts operations in China.
Columbian Chemicals Co. acquires Korea facility from Korea Kumho Petrochemical Co.
Columbian Chemicals Co. acquires Brazil facility, Cubatao, from Copebras.
Hi-Tech Carbon, Gummidipoondi, starts operations in India.
Columbian Chemicals Co. acquires Spain facility from Repsol.
Aditya Birla Group starts operations in Egypt with Alexandria Carbon Black Co. SAE.
Columbian Chemicals Co. builds and commences Hungary facility/operations.
Birla Carbon starts operations in India through Hi-Tech Carbon, Renukoot.
Phelps Dodge acquires Columbian Chemicals Co.
Von Hoffman purchases Columbian Chemicals Co.
Consolidated Mining acquires Columbian Chemicals Co. from Occidental.
Aditya Birla Group enters carbon black business with Thai Carbon Black Public Co. Ltd., beginning its operations in Angthong, Thailand.
Columbian Chemicals Co. is the first carbon black company to use the industrial electron microscope.
Treated carbon black is understood and controlled.
Columbian Chemicals Co. acquires L. Martin and Peerless.
Columbian Chemicals Co. patents dustless carbon black and is the first to produce carbon black beads.
Columbian Chemicals Co. is the first to introduce and patent Gas Furnace Process (Swartz, LA).
Began marketing under Columbian Chemicals Co. after consolidating several small carbon black manufacturers.
Binney and Smith receives the first million pound order.
Carbon black reinforcement of rubber is discovered.
Binney and Smith becomes amajor carbon black distributor.
L. Martin begins production of lampblack.
RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT
The Future of Innovation
Birla Carbon has two state-of-the-art technology centers at Marietta, Georgia (USA) and Taloja, Maharashtra (India), and well-equipped laboratories across its manufacturing units. Continued focus on Research & Development ensures consistent high-quality products delivered in line with customer requirements. The contemporary Research & Development infrastructure also provides for customized products to be developed in conjunction with customers.
- The Process Technology Group leads and drives the strategy of Environmental Stewardship and Sustainability for the most efficient and advanced production technology. Using Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) and years of top-level engineering expertise, process engineers continue to pioneer manufacturing technology to deliver the quality and products that customers expect in an efficient and environmentally friendly manner.
- The Product Technology Group, along with technical service capability in each region of the world, is leading the effort in ensuring that customers have all of their product-based technical needs met, including quality, performance and new products. These groups work very closely with the customers on a daily basis to ensure that they have the technical support required to be successful and overcome product challenges.
- Laboratory Services in Mumbai, India, and Marietta, Georgia (USA), are housed in world-class technical facilities containing state-of-the-art laboratory equipment and experienced scientists and researchers with expertise in carbon black technology, as well as rubber, plastics, inks, and coatings. Through our research into carbon black and its present and potential applications, we’re realizing customer benefits every day.
Experience that Makes a Difference
Our technical service teams are comprised of experts with a deep scientific knowledge of carbon black, its application sectors and its capabilities in delivering effective custom solutions. We form collaborative partnerships with our customers to be aligned and in step with your evolving requirements. This ensures that you obtain consistent quality and performance, the necessary technical service in support of your most important applications, and access to new products and technical platforms to meet your most challenging needs.
Our current footprint extends across 12 countries on 5 continents with 16 manufacturing facilities for a combined annual production capacity of over 2 million tonnes. The acquisition of Columbian Chemicals Co. by the carbon black business of the Aditya Birla Group and subsequent integration led to the formation of Birla Carbon, the global carbon black leader. With a manufacturing presence in each of the key markets of Asia, Europe and the Americas, Birla Carbon delivers uniform product quality and a consistent experience worldwide.
ABOUT ADITYA BIRLA GROUP
A Premium Global Corporation
A US $43 billion corporation, the Aditya Birla Group is in the League of Fortune 500, anchored by an extraordinary force of over 120,000 employees belonging to 42 different nationalities. Over 50 percent of its revenues flow from its overseas operations spanning 35 countries.
The Aditya Birla Group has been ranked fourth in the world and first in Asia Pacific in the “Top Companies for Leaders” 2011 study conducted by Aon Hewitt, Fortune Magazine, and RBL (a strategic HR and Leadership Advisory firm). The Group has topped the Nielsen’s Corporate Image Monitor 2014-15 and emerged as Number 1 and “Best in Class” for the third consecutive year.
Globally, the Aditya Birla Group is:
- A metals powerhouse, among the world’s most cost-efficient aluminum and copper producers; Hindalco-Novelis is the largest aluminum rolling company and one of the three biggest producers of primary aluminum in Asia, with the largest single-location copper smelter
- 1st in viscose staple fiber
- 1st in carbon black
- 4th-largest producer of insulators
- 5th-largest producer of acrylic fiber
- Among the top-5 cement producers globally
- Among the best energy-efficient fertilizer plants
- The largest Indian multinational corporation with manufacturing operations in the USA, wherein 95 percent of the workforce comprises Americans
Aditya Birla Group – The Indian Scenario:
- A top fashion (branded apparel) and lifestyle player
- 2nd-largest player in viscose filament yarn
- The largest producer in the chlor-alkali sector
- Among the top-3 mobile telephony companies
- A leading player in life insurance and asset management
- Among the top-2 supermarket chains in the retail business
Aditya Birla Group – Beyond Business:
- Reaches out annually to 7.5 million people through the Aditya Birla Centre for Community Initiatives and Rural Development, spearheaded by Mrs. Rajashree Birla
- Works in 5,000 villages globally
- Focuses on healthcare, education, female children, sustainable livelihood, women-empowerment projects, infrastructure and espousing social reform
- Runs 42 schools that provide quality education to 45,ooo children, 18,000 of whom belong to the underprivileged segment; Merit Scholarships are given to 24,000 children from the interiors
- Attends to more than 1 million villagers through its 18 hospitals
- Lifts thousands of people out of poverty through ongoing education, healthcare and sustainable livelihood projects in the Philippines, Thailand, Indonesia, Egypt, South Korea and Brazil
- Set up the Aditya Birla India Centre at the London Business School
The Aditya Birla Group transcends conventional barriers of business because we care. We believe it is also our duty to facilitate inclusive growth.
At Birla Carbon, we believe in complete transparency in our investor relations. From administration to governance, share information to reports, we ensure compliance with all rules and regulations in the countries that Birla Carbon does business. For more information, please click the Investor Resources button below, or contact Birla Carbon.